Thursday, June 13, 2013

Eating Lemon Squares with the Friday Night Quilt Club

Night and Day Quilt Block
The pattern can be found here.

The Friday Night Quilt Club has invited you to attend their get-together at the Someday Quilts shop to quilt, "gossip, eat sugar-laden treats and drink (only caffeinated) coffee."  Bernie Avallone, the owner of the pharmacy, is bringing her lemon squares.

Bernie's Lemon Squares
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Blend flour, butter, and powdered sugar thoroughly.  Press evenly in square pan, 8"x8"x2".  Bake 20 minutes.
3.  Beat rest of ingredients together.  Pour over crust and bake 20-25 minutes more.  Do not overbake!  (The filling puffs during baking but flattens when cooled.)  Makes 16 squares

What UFO will you bring to work on?  What sweet-laden treat will you bring to share with the Friday Night Quilt Club?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Please answer in the comment section below.  (If you are reading via email, click on the title at the top of the post so you can comment and read the comments of others.)  Remember, there is no right or wrong answer.  We'd just love to hear your ideas!

On a side note, Google Reader is ending on July 1.  I would encourage you to click the Bloglovin' link at the top right side of my post to conveniently be able to read new blog posts.
 
By commenting, you are entering your name in a giveaway for a $20 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop, courtesy of Fat Quarter Shop!  The more posts you comment on, the greater your chance of winning.  Winner will be announced July 1!

You might also enjoy reading my previous blogpost 
here.
 

15 comments:

  1. I love lemon squares! I'd be working on my coneflower wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bring shortbread biscuits and work on my UFO, "Journey of a Quilter" by Leanne Beasley. I still have a couple of blocks to finish and then hand quilt it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bring my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The oatmeal in the cookies makes me feel like they are sort of healthy. :) I need to sew the binding down on my Feedsack Flags quilt, so I will bring that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may just watch everyone else--and eat those delicious cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My owl quilt is getting too big to carry along on the train but there might be enough space to lay it out at the gathering and add the borders. I might even get some help. All I need is a sugar high to get this on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would bring an applique I am working on and would bring some spinach roll-ups I make with phyllo dough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would bring no bake cookies and the Jayhawk quilt I am hand quilting. I would probably end up helping whoever needed it. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying a new recipe tonight: cherry coke jello (cherry jello with coke replacing the cold water, and then canned dark cherries added). If it turns out, then that is what I would bring to share. The project I would bring to work on is a mug rug for my son-in-law who is in the army and is currently deployed in Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would applique blocks from AppleBlossom or English pp hex's. I love doing both. I should be working on blocks using my Dad's or other ties that I am using to make wall hanging. I have made Grandma's Flower garden and Bowtie blocks. These are done by hand. Have you done the lemon bars using Splenda blend?
    Finished the book today. What a great story? I think I have read all of them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would bring gluten-free brownies with a few chocolate chips and nuts inside. My UFO would be my latest pastel, rag baby quilt. I have to embroider Graycee Joy on the top border fabric, add the borders and snip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to work on the embroidery for my book titles on my Harry Potter quilt blocks. I just made 2 versions of cream cheese cookies (fudge and butter yellow) for a graduation party, those would go well. I took a blueberry/banana cream cheese pie to quilt guild on Thursday evening. It also went over well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would bring my favorite fruit pizza. If I could tear myself away from the desserts & actually do some stitching, I would work on my embroidered Santa blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I can't wait for her next book! Love Lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would bring my first finished quilt top to baste and quilt, which has been a wip for longer than I care to admit. And I would bring chocolate brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would bring Mexican wedding cookies-a nice shortbread cookie with crunchy pecans!I would also bring my latest project almost completed which I call Circle of Life as I started when my daughter was beginning her pregnancy-abandoned for a while to make a baby quilt - came down to FL to be the caregiver for my dad who is currently in hospice - had my husband ship it down so I could complete it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!