Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June Redwork Snowman Quilt Block



There are two theories about how June got its name.  The name “June” may come from Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage and the wife of Jupiter.  Another theory is that the name “June” comes from the Latin word juniores, meaning “younger ones,” as opposed to maiores (“elders”) - the possible origin of "May."  The month of June is one of four months with a length of 30 days.  It has the longest daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the shortest daylight hours in the Southern Hemisphere.  
 

June

The sun is rich
   And gladly pays
In golden hours,
   Silver days.

And long green weeks
   That never end.
School's out.  The time
   Is ours to spend.

There's Little League,
   Hopscotch, the creek,
And, after supper,
   Hide-and-seek.

That live-long light
   Is like a dream,
And freckles come
   Like flies to cream.
        
              John Updike


Little League Baseball in 1961
My husband is the last one on the right, second row.
His dad is the coach on the right, top row.



On a side note, Google Reader is ending on July 1.  I would encourage you to click the Bloglovin' link at the top right side of my post to conveniently be able to read new blog posts.

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

2 comments:

  1. Just joined Bloglovin' this week, and you're already on my list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined Bloglovin because of this blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!