Friday, May 25, 2012

Shortcut to School Quilt Block



     I found the pattern for this 9" Shortcut to School block on-line at Quilter's Cache:
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ShortcutToSchoolBlock.html
     In these diary entries, Hattie is serving as a substitute teacher for Fannie George, Frank's sister.  (Frank is the man she's dating.)  Bobby is Frank's youngest brother. 

Thursday, October 26, 1916 -
"I'm going to bed early, as I have to be up early in the morning for I'm going to teach school!  I'm a little shaky on the subject, but I wanted to help Fannie out.  She phoned me and asked me about it this evening, and I promised her I'd do what I could." 

Friday, October 27, 1916 -
"Well, I had a lovely day!  It has been an ideal day as far as the weather is concerned, too.  Frank came for me about eight o'clock.  I was all ready, and Mother had a nice lunch packed for me, and we were soon off. 

"The children were all just lovely, and I didn't have a bit of trouble with any of them - not even Mike as George predicted.  He was real nice to me.  Bobby pumped water for me, gave me four apples, and was a perfect little gentleman, but Frank told me he had given him a few instructions.  

"Frank was at Niles' and came down for me soon after school was out.  We discussed the day's affairs and so forth for a while, then came on home.  

"I sure ate an immense share of the good supper Mother had for us.  Among much else, she had a little liverwurst, and I got so tickled at Papa.  He took a piece and smelled it before he put it on his plate."   

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/barbara-frietchie-star-quilt-block.html

2 comments:

  1. Oh I bet Frank gave his younger brother a good talking to before school. You know how younger siblings can be! I'm the oldest and like your grandmother, the one that helped keep the kids in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Frank gave Bobby LOTS OF INSTRUCTIONS - and a little warning too!! Lovely block (as usual - but I'm always excited to see your blocks!)

    I was a little late commenting - my computer was sick for a week and I'm just now catching up on my blog hopping!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!