Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Barbara Frietchie Star Quilt Block


     I found this 8" Barbara Frietchie Star pattern in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone. 
     In these diary entries, Mother is visiting friends in Topeka, so Hattie is in charge of the household.  The threshers are working at the Woodbury farm, so Hattie has more hungry mouths to feed than usual.  In the evening, Papa recites the poem "Barbara Frietchie":  http://www.earlywomenmasters.net/quilts/b/bfritchie/index.html

Monday, October 23, 1916 -
"It has turned cold again and has been cloudy and disagreeable all day.  Grace hung out the washing but had to bring it in before it was dry on account of the smoke and chaff from the thresher.  She was right peeved.  They came just at noon, but I had a good dinner fixed for them.  This afternoon I went to town to mail some letters and get a few groceries. 

"I came home and got supper for ten of us, and after reading the papers a little, I'm going to bed as I'm tired.  Unless it rains, the threshers think they will finish in the morning."

Tuesday, October 24, 1916 -
"Well, it sure rained and hasn't stopped yet for that matter.  It has been a typical rainy day, dark and damp and not a ray of sunshine.  The threshers sat around here all morning, and I had to get dinner for them, but they finally left on the water wagon this afternoon.

"We have had a good, long evening.  Papa went after the children this evening, and the boys did their chores early, so we were eating before six o'clock.  I have been tatting, but we each took a turn at reading and reciting for the benefit of the others except Ted, who is reading like mad on The Last of the Mohicans - his review is due Friday.  Papa rendered 'Barbara Frietchie' for us." 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/envelope-quilt-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. The fabric and it's placement really makes this block pop! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love that block and your fabrics look so neat in it! Thanks for sharing!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm about to make this block as part of the Summer Sampler Series (http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?page_id=1105) I'm so glad I happened across your block. I love the color scheme. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!