Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mystery Quilt Block and the Setting of A Drunkard's Path by Clare O'Donohue

Mystery Quilt Block Pattern Information

Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.  I am making a quilt I call my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt.  I have long admired red and white quilts so decided to keep it simple and go with just two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red, for my blocks.  Feel free to use whatever fabrics you'd like.  If you shop from your stash, it won't cost you a thing!
 
To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  If you love to quilt and read, please join us!  It's easy to jump in anytime.  Check out the Quilters' Book Club Schedule right here.  


For the month of March, we're reading and discussing A Drunkard's Path by Clare O'Donohue.  It's the second book in her Someday Quilts Mystery Series.  Check the book out of your local library and begin reading.  If you want to read it on your Kindle, click here.

A Drunkard's Path takes place in the small town of Archers Rest in upstate New York.  The author writes on her website that "Archers Rest is a fictional town, but it’s based (at least in layout) on Sleepy Hollow, NY, where I lived for a couple of years. In particular the image of a town set between the Hudson River and an enormous graveyard, comes from the real place. (By the way, it’s ‘that’ Sleepy Hollow from the Washington Irving story, and such a cute place to visit, particularly around Halloween.)" Check out Clare's website.


"Archers Rest, like a lot of towns on New York's Hudson River, was first established in the 1600s by Dutch settlers.  The head of the group was a man named James Archer, who died the first winter.  He was buried in a small field on the edge of a town that in the nearly four hundred years since grew into a large cemetery, with almost seven thousand graves.  Since Archers Rest had only five thousand living residents, there were more dead than alive in the little town."  from The Lover's Knot, the first book in the Someday Quilts Mystery Series.

If you'd like to create a quilt block to go with the setting of A Drunkard's Path, here are some free quilt patterns that I found online:

All Hallows Variation Quilt Block (to represent Archers Rest, aka Sleepy Hollow)

Empire Star Quilt Block (New York's nickname is the Empire State)

New York Quilt Block

New York Beauty Quilt Blocks (several)

New York Star Quilt Block

Have you ever read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Please answer in the comment section below.  (If you are reading via email, click on the title at the top of the post so you can comment and read the comments of others.)  By commenting, you'll be entering to win a copy of A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County) by Barbara Cameron.  The more posts you comment on, the greater your chances of winning.  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others. The winner will be announced on April 1.

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post March Redwork Birdie Stitches and the Last Hurrah of Winter.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, but so long ago! It must be time for a re-run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago and I agree with Julie, may it's time for a rerun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy upstairs, but, I much prefer the animated movie we used to watch at school about he headless horseman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have. I have driven through upstate New York and can picture what this town is like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it back in high school. That was let's say 5 years ago. Ha ha. I love this story line. When the TV series Sleepy Hollow came on I was hooked. It had it's own twisted of course. I think I like the book better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book a few years ago and loved it. I think I might have to read it again one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!