Sunday, December 22, 2013

Broken Sugar Bowl Quilt Block and Making Aunt Gerda's Apple Strudel


Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to go with the book.  I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.     


Our book to read and discuss during December 2013 is The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It's a quick, fun read.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us! 

In the book, it's a Bergstrom family tradition to make Aunt Gerda's Apple Strudel every Christmas.  If you'd like to make a quilt block to represent this tradition, here are some free block patterns: 

Apple Quilt Block
 
Apple Core Quilt Block

Broken Sugar Bowl Quilt Block shown above

And if you'd like to make Aunt Gerda's Apple Strudel, here's the recipe!

Aunt Gerda’s Apple Strudel
3 large assorted apples, like Macintosh and Golden Delicious, peeled, cored,    and thinly sliced (about 3 heaping cups)
½ cup raisins
¼ cup plain toasted breadcrumbs
¼ cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
5 large sheets phyllo dough (14 x 18 inches)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

1.  Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.  Lightly butter a baking sheet.

2.  Place the apples, raisins, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice in a medium bowl and toss to coat evenly. 

3.  Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter.  Top with a second sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter.  Repeat with the remaining phyllo and butter, creating a stack of five sheets of phyllo and ending with butter.  (You will have a little bit of butter remaining.)

4.  Arrange the apples in a strip about one-third up from the bottom, leaving about 2 inches on either end.  Lift the bottom of the phyllo over the top of the apples.  Fold in the sides, and continue to roll up the apples tightly.

5.  Place the strudel, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.  Brush the top with the remaining butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.  Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Cool to room temperature.  Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before serving.  Serves 8 to 10.

If you can only find small sheets of phyllo (9 x 14 inches), simply divide the apples and make two small strudels, each using five sheets of phyllo.    

From The Quilter’s Kitchen by Jennifer Chiaverini
 
Is there a recipe that your family always makes every Christmas?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Please answer in the comment section below.  If you're reading this via e-mail, you must click on the title of the blog post in order to comment or to read the comments of others.  By commenting, you are entering your name in this month's give-away.  Plume Books has generously offered a December give-away of two more copies of Jennifer Chiaverini's just-released book, An Elm Creek Quilts Companion.
The Quilters' Book Club selection for January is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and plan to join us!
 
You might enjoy reading my previous blog post Shooting Star Quilt Block and a Song for Sunday.

11 comments:

  1. We don't have any particular family recipe but when my #2 daughter was in college, she worked at a cafeteria. When they made turkey stuffing, she didn't like it and came home to learn my way, taking that back to school .. and apparently made a big hit.
    We always have twice-baked potatoes.
    I remember my mom talking about trying to learn her mother-in-law's Bohemian recipes because Grandma used a pinch of this and a handful of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe, I won't be making it for Christmas morning, but I will definetly have a go over the holiday. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My niece always makes candy as her mother did especially chocolate coated peanut butter balls. Yum, yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a fruitcake recipe that my mother got from a co-worker back around 1939. It uses a jar of mincemeat as it's main ingredient. And since around 1970, I have made Danish pastries every year for Christmas morning. Even when I would travel to a sister's house, I would make ahead and shape once there. Unfortunately, that was when I was within driving distance. I don't think that would work flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have such an old family recipe! I once packed dough for three colors of cream cheese mints in my suitcase and then flew to Washington to attend a shower for my future daughter-in-law. I made the mints once I got to her parents' house!

      Delete
  5. Love the recipe and the block! I would also like to thank you for your faithfulness in posting to your blog for our enjoyment, and putting a link on stashbusters too!!! I may not put a comment on every post, but I do read all your posts. Have a very blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always make nut and poppyseed rolls using my husband's mother's recipe. The dough is not rich which pleases my husband. I still make my own nut filling but have used jarred poppyseed the last few years.
    Thanks so much for the apple strudel recipe. I will try it out soon. Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make mince pies, a special plum pudding (no eggs or flour) & a fruit punch.
    We always look forward to them.
    Just last week my mum just gave me her mums boiled fruit cake recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just made the Broken Sugar Bowl block.
    I love this series of books.
    I just got 2 more for Xmas.... The Giving Quilt & Sonoma Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have obviously been busy with family this Xmas & New Year. Hope you have had a lovely time & that we see you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I've been absent this past month. I finally finished the book (I've read it before) a few days ago. It's been a really busy 2 months for me. Maybe I can get back into reading time next month.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!