Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Turkey Butter for Thanksgiving and a Churn Dash Quilt Block




My maternal grandmother, Harriet Woodbury George, always churned her own butter and even made her own cottage cheese.  Every Thanksgiving, she would form her butter in the shape of a turkey and place it in the center of the table.  And every year, immediately after the "amen" of the prayer, my cousin Jay would reach across the table and chop off the head of the turkey butter with his knife.  And every year my grandma would say, "Now, Jay!"

I have made cornbread in the shape of a turkey for Thanksgiving, but my sister Laura has actually made turkey butter (shown above) like our grandma did.
 

My Grandma making pumpkin pies (Fall 1950)

Making rolls (Fall 1950)
 
Fall 1950 - My mother is on the far left.
 
A traditional Thanksgiving dish at our house!
 
Grandma's Corn and Oysters
2 cans cream style corn
1 can oysters, drained
14 saltine crackers
2 tablespoons butter

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
         2.  Put one can of corn in a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole.  Put half the can of oysters in a layer on top.  Break up 7 crackers over the oysters and dot with 1 tablespoon margarine.
3.  Repeat with rest of corn, oysters, crackers, and margarine. 
4.  Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and the crackers are browned.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here. 

14 comments:

  1. Visiting from Connies, and I must admit that your title turkey butter brought me here. Cute story and lovely pictures. What a treasure to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother and her kitchen looks just like my grandmother's in rural Southern NJ, though circa 1956. One of my fondest memories is the stacking of phone books so I could sit at the table. Thank you for stirring up such happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute story of the turkey butter and love the old photos!! Reminds me of my grandma's house! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think and I know you know how Blessed you are to have these family memories. You honor Your Grandma and your family. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone above! Great pictures. Love the smiles on everyone's faces. But your grandma does look pretty serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really wasn't so serious all the time. I think the photographer just caught her that way in the moment.

      Delete
  6. My mom is in the middle - laughing! I am impressed with Laura's turkey butter, it makes my attempts look like scrawny chickens.

    Thanks for sharing these, Susan. I love this block, the fabrics could easily be from some of Grandma's stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love seeing everyone laughing and making wonderful memories. Your Grandma's turkey butter is certainly a treasured memory for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what wonderful and precious family photos! And I got a good chuckle about the poor butter turkey's head being chopped off;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I love the family pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love to read your blog and the blocks are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the story of the butter. All that work to go CHOP.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!