Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Starry Pines Quilt Block and a Blue Moon

 
 
Look what I saw on my walk tonight!  A blue moon!  Although we think of a blue moon as the second full moon in one month, the original definition referred to the third full moon in a season with four full moons.  (Each season usually has only three.)  Blue moons happen about every two years and nine months.  The next one won't happen until 1915.  The phrase "once in a blue moon" refers to something that only rarely happens.

Full Moon
One night as Dick lay fast asleep,
     Into his drowsy eyes
A great still light began to creep
     From out the silent skies.
It was the lovely moon’s, for when
     He raised his dreamy head,
Her surge of silver filled the pane
     And streamed across his bed.
So, for a while, each gazed at each –
     Dick and the solemn moon –
Till, climbing slowly on her way,
     She vanished, and was gone.


             Walter de la Mare

Did you get a chance to see the blue moon?  Inquiring minds want to know!

You might also enjoy my previous blog post here.

8 comments:

  1. Indeed, we watched it rising just as the last tinge of pink was in the western sky. It was so pretty in each direction. The night air in Portland is cool and fresh. I wish I could pack some of it in my suitcase to take back to Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It greeted me as I headed out at 5:20 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I always reply to you via email, but you are a no reply commenter, so I don't think you've been receiving my emails. I'm glad you got to see the blue moon!

      Delete
    2. I hope you received my reply to your Facebook message to me. How do I change the "no reply commenter" status? I'm very computer challenged, sorry!

      Delete
    3. I did receive your Facebook message. Here's a tutorial on how to change from being a no reply commenter. I had to do it myself last year! http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009/09/this-is-for-sewlindannand-all-no.html

      Delete
  3. Never heard of it before, but I will be looking out for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't usually see the moon because of the lights. I didn't know the story, but have heard of the blue moon. Did we just have it or is it still there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not see it this time. I will have to wait a couple of years! Thanks for taking a picture of it for us.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!