Saturday, August 3, 2013

August Quilt Block


This August quilt block is the 24th block of my Starwood Sampler Quilt, created to tell the story of my home and community. I made it as a block of the month with my quilting group, the Persian Pickles.  This is one of the extra blocks I made so that I would end up with a king-sized quilt.  I found this 14" block in Judy Martin's Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns.  Every other block of my quilt is set on point.  This block is one of those that is set on point and has blue sashing.  It is the center block of my quilt.  You can tell that I had to cut off a bit of each corner of the block since it was 14" instead of the usual 12" of the rest of the quilt blocks.     

August is a special month for my family.  We were married in August, and all three of our sons were born in August.  In fact, we celebrate three birthdays and an anniversary within 18 days!

1-2-3-4 Cake
Cake:
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar

4 eggs

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting:
½ cup butter
6 Tablespoons milk
½ cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
3.  Mix together flour and baking powder.  Add to batter alternately with milk.
4.  Beat well and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. 
5.  Pour into two 8-inch round cake pans that have been greased and lightly floured.  Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back to touch or begins to pull away from edge of pan.
6.  To make frosting, melt butter.  Add milk, cocoa, and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
7.  When cake is cool, remove from pans and ice with frosting.

This recipe came from my mother-in-law.  It is our traditional birthday cake! 
It has 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, and 4 eggs - 1-2-3-4 Cake!



You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

6 comments:

  1. This is an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous block, Susan. I need to pull out my Judy Martin books and look at them better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a neat block and that cake recipe is a good one to have on hand. I usually have all those ingredients already here. Happy birthdays all around and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary to you! I hope you take a bit of time away from the blog & quilting & walking & photographing so you can do all of that celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty block & I would love to do this block but I don't have one of her books. Hopefully I can locate this block somewhere. Hope all of your August celebrations overflow with joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! That is a gorgeous block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are the same for the month of March. 3 birthdays and an anniversary in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!