Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook


Simple Woman's Daybook for January 15, 2013
Outside my window . . . It is cold and dark.  It's 24 degrees but feels like 13.  We're expecting some snow later tonight, and there's still snow on the ground from yesterday's light snow.

I am thinking . . . I need a redwork project to work on by the fire!

I am thankful . . . for a warm home and wood-burning fireplace on this cold night.  I'm also thankful for quilting friends in my community and in my on-line community around the world.

In the kitchen . . . I ate chicken noodle soup by the fireplace for supper tonight.  Gladys Taber wrote, "There are many delights in winter, and eating in front of the fire is one of them."

I am hearing . . . the fire crackling in the fireplace - a fire I built.

I am creating . . .  a Variable Star quilt block in solid red and white.  I made it to go with the book The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It's part of my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt. 

I am going . . . to participate in the 9th annual Adult Reading Program of my local library district by reading eight books in eight weeks.  It's my 9th year to do so, and I have the Adult Reading Program mugs to prove it! 

I am reading . . . The Red Tent by Anita Diamant to discuss with my Raspberry Mountain Readers Book Club and The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling to discuss with my quilting group The Persian Pickles.

I am hoping . . . for warmer weather, blue Colorado skies, and bright sunshine.  

I am looking forward to . . . making Corn and Cheese Chowder from a recipe that my daughter-in-law Haley just sent me.

I am learning . . . how to transfer photos from my phone to my computer.

Around the house . . .  it's quiet but cozy with the fire burning.   

I am pondering . . . my word for 2013 - "Balance" and what it means to my life this year.

One of my favorite things . . . is to have lunch with a friend, which I got to do today.  So fun!

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . help students become better readers and be excited about books, complete two quilt blocks, and attend the January meeting of the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild.  It will be good to get caught up with these friends since I missed the December sew-in.        


Go to http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/  if you'd like to participate or read other women's daybook entries.

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/01/number-stars-quilt.html

3 comments:

  1. Wow, eight books in eight weeks! I was forced to take a speed-reading course in College. (Yes, they shortened my days by one hour so I could get my work done faster ... what a laugh)! By the end of the course, my speed had picked up so that I was not on the chart, but on the bottom edge of the page and my comprehension had gone from 100% to 30!
    Your groups do sound like a lot of fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I hope you realize how much you help those students with the reading. My son had two wonderful teachers like you back to back in 2nd and 3rd grade. The one in 2nd got the whole class started on reading Harry Potter!!! My son and I were already reading it at home at the time but gosh what a great reinforcement it was for him to have such a wonderful teacher. She had the tapes and every student showed up with the books to follow along..that was book 1 and then they did book 2. My son is 20 now and is still a great reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Susan you are so busy. Eight books in eight weeks, teaching, crafting, cooking, a quilting guild and so many other things. I do envy you the beautiful fireplace. It is always good to set goals and to achieve some of those things than to wondering hopelessly from day to day.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!