Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Stockings

I began making these stockings years ago.  At first, there were just two.  Then three more were added, one for each of our sons.  Recently, I've made three more as three daughters-in-law have been added to our family.  The ninth one is for a sister who spends Christmas with us every year.  The cuff as well as the heel and toe patches are made of fine-wale corduroy.  I did not think about how many stockings I would end up making when I first began these nearly forty years ago, so not all of the corduroys are the same!

The stockings are lined, with batting in between, so they are sturdy enough and large enough to hold a lot!  There's always an orange or tangerine in the toe followed by a chocolate orange.  These days, everyone usually gets socks as well as personal hygiene items like toothpaste and practical items like tape, stamps, and glue sticks.  

And what's Christmas without Christmas cookies!  Here's another recipe from my mother, who is Swedish on her father's side.

Swedish Ginger Cookies
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
3-1/2 cups flour
Blanched almonds

1.  Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
2.  Add orange peel, molasses, and water and mix well.
3.  Add baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and mix thoroughly.  Stir in flour.
4.  Chill.
5.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6.  Roll dough into 1-inch balls.  Dip greased glass in sugar and flatten.  Top with almonds.
7.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.  Makes 8 dozen. 



You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

3 comments:

  1. Love your stockings!!! They look great on your mantle. Thanks for the great recipe, I've added it to my recipe file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandmother made stockings for each of us kids. The job then went to my mother and was passed on to me. I have no idea what my sisters do. The name or initial was on each stocking and my kids all took theirs with them as they left home.
    We always had a walnut and a tangerine in the toe of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving these Christmas posts, Susan providing a glimpse in how others celebrate. Looks like you are going to be adding another little stocking to the mix soon enough. Congratulations to you and your family on the expected baby. It will be fun to see the holiday again through a child's eyes.

    Recipes and quilty items to boot.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!