Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Turkey Tracks Quilt Block

    
     I found the pattern for this 9" Turkey Tracks block at:  http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TurkeyTracksBlock.htmlEven though I'm not a fan of paper piecing, I did paper piece this block successfully without having to rip out a seam!
     In this diary entry, Hattie is celebrating her 21st birthday a day early.  Frank (the man she's been dating this summer and her future husband) and two of his sisters, Betty and Fannie, have come to help her celebrate.  Frank gives her a "lovely" box of chocolates.  He is teaching Hattie how to drive a car and, apparently, how to also change a tire!  (Blowouts seem to be fairly common occurrences.)  Grace is a hired girl.  "League" refers to "Epworth League," a Methodist organization for young adults.     

Sunday, October 1, 1916 -
"I just now discovered much to my dismay that someone has been rummaging through my desk.  This diary and my letters were all tumbled together.  Oh, that makes me so provoked!  I thought there was no one quite so small and dishonorable in this family.  I always have things in a certain position so that I can tell immediately if anyone has been in here.  I noticed a magazine on my cedar chest was turned over once today, but I never noticed the desk until now.  I have a pretty good idea who it was. 

"Betty and Fannie and Frank came out after Sunday School - there was no preaching.  It was dreadfully windy part of the time and even looked threatening and sprinkled this afternoon but is clear now.  We had a fine dinner, but Mother had to light candles on the birthday cake, which embarrassed me greatly.  This is the menu:
Mashed Potatoes       Sweet Potatoes
Turkey, Cranberry Sauce
Dressing, a la nuts and raisins       Gravy
Bread and Butter
Fruit Salad       Nutcake       White Cake
Cranberry Pie       Pumpkin Pie       Cheese

"Since Grace insisted on going home today, I had to wash the dishes.  Then we sat around and talked and discussed the wedding.

"About 5:30 we left and took the girls home (Betty to Lebo), then we came back to League.  We had a nice little blowout the other side of Ridgeton but were not long changing tires.  I am even learning how to do that.  We got to League in good time, and I had to make a little speech.

"Frank gave me a lovely box of Vassar's and asked me to go to the Royal Stock Show a couple of days this week.  His cousin Fannie has invited us."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

7 comments:

  1. "that makes me so provoked"
    I love that expression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma used to say that! "Angry" or "mad" must have been too strong! Mmmm... a turkey dinner must have helped. Thanks for sharing these diary entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great block!! Like Auntie Em - "provoked" caught me "ears"!! Not an expression we use today!

    Congrats on the Liebster award! It is always fun to encourage one another!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved hearing this, "provoked" I can just hear her thinking these thoughts!! Great looking block too

    ReplyDelete
  5. This website was... how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something which helped me. Thank you!
    My website lastminute vakantie turkije

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned to love paper piecing. I have been a member of Carol Doak's Yahoo Group for almost a year now and it has become second nature. Your Turkey Tracks is great and if you keep working on paper piecing I'm sure you will love it too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!