Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Maple Leaf Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this Maple Leaf block free on-line but reduced it from a 12" block to a 6" blockhttp://www.quilterscache.com/M/MapleLeafBlock.html.  
     In these diary entries, Mary is one of Hattie's older sisters living in Washington state.  She has recently had surgery but is planning to come home to Kansas for Thanksgiving.  Howard and Ruth are two more of Hattie's siblings, while Fern is a friend.  Hattie has been to a wedding.  She sleeps with a piece of wedding cake under her pillow as well as an envelope with four names inside.  Every morning, she removes one name until there's only one left - the name of the man she'll marry.  She has already removed "Old Maid" from the envelope and has now removed "O.O."        

Saturday, October 14, 1916 -
"The threshers, just three of them, came in time for dinner but went home before supper on account of the rain.  We had no special cleaning to do today but some extra baking.  I made four apple pies. 

"Papa had a letter from Mary saying she was getting along fine and would probably be home for Thanksgiving.  That sure sounds good.  I can hardly wait to see them.  It has been nearly four years since I bade her goodbye."

Sunday, October 15, 1916 -
"We children went to Sunday School and church.  They are beginning Revivals and had a good meeting - fine sermon and singing.  But I guess I'm not Methodist enough to be very crazy about revivals. 

"I discovered this morning that I did not sleep on the wedding cake last night.  It was on the floor, and I slept merely on the envelope and names.  So I'm doing it over tonight."

Tuesday, October 17, 1916 -
"It's sure going to frost tonight.  I went out and covered all my rosebushes before Frank came, and I'm glad I did for it's sure cold now.  I felt comfortable in my serge dress and furs. 

"They had a splendid meeting tonight - fine sermon and real, live singing.  But still, I'm no 'shouting Methodist.'

"It was quite pleasant all day, bright and fair.  Mother went to Club this afternoon, while I stayed home, finished the ironing, and got supper.

"We heard from Howard today.  I also got letters from Ruth and Fern.  My!  I must get busy and answer a few."

Wednesday, October 18, 1916 -
"I rescued O.O.'s name from the fateful envelope this morning.  Just one more critical withdrawal, and I'll not sleep on the last one."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/old-maids-puzzle-quilt-block.html

2 comments:

  1. OMG what name will be left........loving this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the comment about shouting Methodists---apparently the more evangelical approach did not appeal to her much.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!