Thursday, February 9, 2012

Calico Spools Quilt Block

    
     When I saw this fabric line, The Dressmaking Collection - Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman, I knew I had to include it in my quilt.  I found this Calico Spools block pattern in 5500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone and drafted it to be 9" finished. 
     In these diary entries, Grace is a hired girl who helps with the housework and lives with the family during the week.  Howard, Ted, George, and Anna are Hattie's younger siblings.  Frank George is Hattie's future husband (and my future grandfather), but they are just starting to date.  Osage refers to Osage City, Kansas.  A milliner is a person who designs, makes, trims, or sells women's hats. 
     Can you imagine a dress with eighteen yards of net for ruffles? 
   
Thursday, July 13, 1916 -
"We thought we were going to have a rain tonight, but by the time we had most of the windows closed, it seemed to be blown over.  But it is now lightning in the west, so perhaps we'll have a shower before morning.

"Mother, Grace, Anna, Howard, and I went after the mail tonight.  Mother and Howard and I each had a strawberry sundae. 

"I didn't quite finish my dress today, but it was quite a job hemming about eighteen yards of net for ruffles and then gather it and set it on.  Mother got her panama hat all fixed up.  I wish I had mine fixed.  Papa said I could go with him to Osage and take it to a milliner there, but I would a great deal rather send it to Mrs. Ballwey.  Anyhow, just so I can get it done by Sunday."

Friday, July 14, 1916 -
"There is an eclipse of the moon tonight.  I have been watching it and hope it will be a total before I go to sleep.  But I am tired enough to fall in my tracks.  It is a little late.  The folks went to Lodge at Lebo tonight.  Frank George and his mother came and got them.  I have been crocheting and writing and studying my Sunday School lesson.  I am to teach a class Sunday.  Ted and Howard and George have taken turns coming in here and bothering me a while.  Howard had the blackest hands.  He had been working with the engine.

"I have cleaned a good deal today.  After finishing the sweeping here on the 2nd and 3rd floors, I helped Grace wash windows downstairs.  It gave me a headache, so after dinner I took a little nap then cleaned a few more, then did some mending before I started supper.  So it has been quite a full day.

"I hope Frank does not think that was a 'stall' I gave him about the toothache last Sunday.  I told Mother to be sure and emphasize the fact that I had had the toothache." 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/02/girls-joy-quilt-block.html

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting fabric. Makes a lovely block!! Hattie is "smitten" with Harold!! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I mean Frank!!!! Boy where did I get Harold!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fussy cutting. You made super fabric even better! Glad I stopped by. --Kitty Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something so soothing as a diary entry from the years when things seemed so simple. Hard work,simple meals, fresh air dried laundry...Sunday school lessons and quilting. Your blog comforts and inspires me to make simple quilts for my own family. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ted, Howard and George have taken turns coming in here and bothering me a while."
    Wow, men and boys have not changed much have they? My husband always gets milage out of his dirty hands when he works on the car.
    Sherrie Wohlgemuth@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw this.....you have your grandmother's diary from 1916?! Oh you so very lucky girl! Most of these are gone, and her's is about sewing, what a treasure to inherit...I'm turning green with envy. ;) Will definitely be back to read more, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful block! That fabric really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I wish this diary (along with all your chosen blocks) were published in book form. I think I would be one of the first in line for a copy. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered it, Carolyn. I will be sure to let you know if I do decide to publish a book.

      Delete
  9. I have enjoyed reading your grandmother's diary, and seeing your matching quilt squares. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judy. I had a lot of fun with this project and learned so much about quilting and about my grandmother as a young woman.

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!