Sunday, November 20, 2011

Streak of Lightning Quilt Block


     This Streak of Lightning quilt block is easy to make.  You can find the pattern online free at Quilterscache by clicking here.
     In this diary entry, Mother is Hattie's stepmother, Nelle Daniels Woodbury.  Ann is her 12-year-old sister.  "William Ashley 'Billy' Sunday was an American athlete who, after being a popular outfielder in baseball's National League during the 1880s, became the most celebrated and influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century.  Sunday was a strong supporter of Prohibition, and his preaching almost certainly played a significant role in the adoption of the 18th amendment in 1919." (Wikipedia)

Wednesday, April 26
"I haven't done much today but churn and crochet.  O yes, I mopped the kitchen at 7:30 this A.M.!  But the churning was terribly slow.  I didn't finish until afternoon.  I had a little nap, too.

"Papa came in from Larned this A.M. and left for Wallace at 5:20 this P.M.  He went by way of Kansas City and took my suit back.  He didn't decide to go until after 4:30, so we had time for nothing but to fly around and get him ready.  I took him to the station."

Friday, April 28, 1916 -
"Mother and Ann went to town this P.M. and brought home my suit that Papa had sent by express.  I'm not real sure that I like it - it is a sort of apple green, a color I have never worn much.  It fits pretty well, though, so I may keep it.

"My clock has stopped, so I couldn't tell how late it is but presume it's about 'straight up.'"

Sunday, April 30, 1916 -
"This has been a rainy, rainy day.  The sun hasn't shown a minute, and the drizzle has been incessant.  Of course, we didn't go to church.  In fact, I didn't do anything but eat and sleep and read. . .

"We got a telegram from Papa this morning, and he came in tonight - but he says he has to go back again for the cattle he bought.

"Billy Sunday opened his revival in Kansas City today.  I'm just wild to hear him.  Hope I can go down."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry here:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/11/basket-weave-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colors together. I like the sharp contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, it does look like lightening. Susan, have you posted May' Snowman block as yet, did I miss it?

    Thanks, Eva

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!