Saturday, August 6, 2011

Writer's Block Quilt Block


     This 10" Writer's Block quilt block comes from the book Judy Martin's Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns.  Making it involved templates and partial seams, and the one you see is my second try.  The first one ended up in the trash!
     I am including a diary entry from my grandmother, Harriet Woodbury George, dated New Year's Day, Saturday, January 1, 1916.  She was twenty years old and living on the Woodbury farm, two miles north of Olivet, Kansas.  She was a prolific writer all of her life.  When she passed away on December 15, 1986, her many diaries were divided up among her children and grandchildren. 

New Year's Day, Saturday, January 1, 1916 -
"I decided last night to start a diary this year so Papa said for me to scratch it down on a piece of paper, and he would get me a diary the first time he went to Kansas City.  This has been the warmest day - more like March than January.  It rained last night, so there is scarcely any snow left.

"This A.M. we had a New Year's offering in the shape of a poor beggar girl who was giving 'hand-made' lace in exchange for food and clothing.  Papa joked us quite a bit for being so taken in.  But I know she was poor, and we got the lace in return for potatoes, milk, meat, an old quilt, and some clothing.

"This P.M. Mother wanted me to go to town and get the mail and take the cream.  The roads were surprisingly muddy and I didn’t reach town until almost five o’clock, and it turned cold and I nearly froze before I got home.  But after eating a hearty supper of baked beans, fresh bread and pie, I felt better."
                                                                              
You might enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/homemaker-quilt-block.html                                                                                       

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful block! I can see from all of the points that it would have been a difficult one. You mastered it!

    Love the diary entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful workmanship! The colors glow. I just used the rust and blue in a project. I have been enjoying your grandmother's diary. My grandparents were from La, not far from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myra McFarland, UFO MavenMarch 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

    I love this block. And the colors? I wouldn't have imagined orange and blue nestled next to one another. It's bright. It's startling. But it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I love the colors you used in this block, it's awesome. Who would have thought orange and blue?

    Eva

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!